Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Miss Saigon - 25 years later

Miss Saigon represents a lot in musical theater. It gave us Lea Solanga, which I feel we are all grateful for. It gave us another hit show from the team that gave the world Les Misérables, and was nominated for 10 Tony Awards in 1991


It currently holds the place as 13th longest running musical on broadway, April 11, 1991 thru January 28, 2001 with 4,092 performances.




It has its hold firmly on one of the most recognizable Asian storylines in the history of performing arts. Originally opening on the west in 1989, to celebrate is 25th anniversary, there was  a London Revival in 2014.


It was recorded and presented at select movie theaters around the nation on Thursday 9/22 and I was able to see this.


I had never seen Miss Saigon. It had been one of those shows that has always hovered on the periphery of my musical theatre obsession, but never really made its way to the forefront until recently.



When the 25th-anniversary cast recording was released, I listened to it. It was beautiful, but it didn't really catch me. There was one number that i feel in love with, and would listen to a lot from time to time. “Move in my mind” is one of those songs that will always get me going. Women singing, especially if there is harmony involved, and belting, and emotions. Yes. please.


I also did a little research on the show, and found out a lot about the original cast and some of the racist undertones, and that it was, unsurprisingly based on Madame Butterfly.


I was able to sing backup for a small men’s ensemble of Bui Doi once, and that was amazing, so i knew the music was great.


When they announced that we would be able to view i knew that it was something that needed to be seen with my own eyes. I immediately bought tickets, and convinced some of my friends to join my boyfriend and I.


I didn't really know what to expect. I heard from several people that they changed some of the songs, and of course there was a lot more swearing than anyone ever remembered. I want to say I enjoyed it, though the Social Justice Warrior in me kept complaining about the sexism, the racism, the white-saviorhood of the whole thing. It was also extremely depressing, but, you know, Madame Butterfly is also super sad.



I overall enjoyed the music more than anything. Much like Les Mis, it was incredibly powerful, and there are definitely some melodic lines that got stuck in my head, but it wasn't an easy score to hum along to.



The biggest downfall for me, was seeing the Gala at the end. I know for a lot of people it was a true highlight, and I feel like those people's opinions need to be honored, but for me, it was distracting. Lea Solanga is an incredible talent, but the first few acts were… confusing. Watching her sing was great, but then seeing her sing with cast members who just performed, was weird. When they brought out the original Chris, that was cool. But then the new Kim, and the new Chris… and all the kissing. It was… awkward, and seemed ill-planned

T
hen Jonathan Pryce came out, and he is not in the best shape. And he did the biggest number that the character he originated sang in the show, which is 900 years long. He brought out the new engineer, then the original producer, and composers came out. It was just… it dragged. I dont know what they could have done to entertain me. I think because I am new to this show, i felt like I was on the outside and I hated that.

Now that its being revived on Broadway, a new generation will be exposed to the Heat in Saigon. I really hope that the show has the same impact as the original.

I appreciate having a complicated relationship with this show now, at least I have a relationship with it now. I do feel that the history of this show may be just as important as the actual show itself.



2 comments:

  1. I completely agree the the GALA portion was disappointing, long, and awkward. I would have preferred they showed interviews, or footage of the original production, or some from the Making of Miss Saigon documentary. Seeing this version reminded me why I loved it a long time ago and how young I was when I saw it and how much of the really problematic stuff I had forgotten. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely interesting to hear people's opinions after they have been familiar with the show for a long time. thanks for sharing, Carin!

      Delete