Tuesday, October 6, 2015

If You Love Hamilton, You Might Like...

I guess this was inevitable considering Hamilton was dropped late September. NPR does like NPR likes to do, and offered the entire album to stream and to enjoy the week before the entire album was available for digital download and purchase.

I listened to it all in one stretch while doing some other things, thinking I could absorb it through osmosis. Some songs stuck out to me (“Helpless”), some specific parts stuck out to me (Angelica rapping in ‘Satisfied’), and some music just hit me in all the feels (the ensemble singing “Quiet Uptown”. I’m actually getting goosebumps just typing about it, honestly).

Fortunately for anyone who loves Musical Theatre, there is Facebook, and my circle of friends started buzzing almost immediately:




Can I See This RIGHT NOW!”


“First '1989' was released, and now this?!? I'm in heaven.”

“Pretty much on constant loop for me right now.#myloveforLinManuelMirandaisneverending


“If you haven't heard this already you should. I haven't liked a musical this much in a decade.”



Bottom Line, WE ALL LOVE THIS SHOW

I wanted to take this opportunity for anyone who just needs MORE to suggest some shows. So, in the spirit of Buzzfeed:

If You Love Hamilton, You Might Want to Check Out These 8 Cast Albums

If you like Hamilton for the History:

1776 - This is probably the obvious choice, and also the one that I am probably not the most qualified in discussing, in that I don't actually know it very well. However, this show is LITERALLY about the construction of the Declaration of Independence. Also, I just learned that Alexander Hamilton did not sign the Declaration of Independence; he was considered a Founding Father due to his role in framing the Constitution. The show won the Tony in 1969 along with several others fairly prestigious awards


Ragtime - I personally think that Ragtime is one of the best, most emotional musicals I have ever seen and heard in the time that I have been obsessed with musical theatre. Aherns and Flaherty brought to life the 1975 novel that tells 3 very different stories about three groups in the early 20th century and the struggles the faced. Although the main characters in the show are fictions, there are plenty of real-life characters in the cast who lend a voice, including Harry Houdini, Evelyn Nesbit and Emma Goldberg

Keep an eye out for a young Lea Michele

Parade - A heartbreaking true story about Leo Frank who had been accused of raping and murdering 13 year old Mary Phagan in Marietta Georgia. The show follows his arrest, subsequent trial, sentencing, and unjust death. It is rumored that Director Harold Price turned to Jason Robert Brown after Stephen Sondheim turned the project down

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the composer for you:

In the Heights - I take back my statement about 1776… The obvious choice for your listening pleasure if you love Hamilton is In the Heights. This show highlights the life and loves of a group of neighbors in Washington Heights over a few days featuring a score of hip-hop, R&B, salsa, and good old fashion Broadway. LMM has written and spoken extensively about what In the Heights means to him, and what it means to Broadway. His starring as the main character, Usnavi, got him a Tony nomination for Best Leading Actor in a Musical, and he also won for his composition of the score for the show.




Bring It On - Working with Tom Kitt and Amanda Green, Miranda composed  this show loosely (and I MEAN LOOSELY) basing it on the 2000 film starring Kirsten Dunst and Gabrielle Union. I only recommend this show if you have already listened to, and fell in love with both In the Heights and Hamilton. Finding the same music licks and ensemble cadences in the score is so much fun (even though this was before Hamilton, but whatevs)! Also, cheerleaders! Important sides note about this show, it holds the first time a transgendered character was featured in a musical on Broadway.

Contemporary Pop shows rock your ear-buds:

bare: a popopera - Hamilton has an amazing score that is basically entirely sung through, and I love that. bare: a pop opera also utilizes this model with a contemporary pop score (obvi) and has a lot of emotional highs and lows with a Romeo & Juliet-esque twist. There is also a rap (yeah, only one) and a Rave dance (remember raves??)


Venice - This is a “new to me” musical that I really want to share with everyone! It came to me as an “If you love Hamilton, you’ll love” and I DO!! It also stars Leslie Odom, Jr. and features a score with a lot of Hip-hop and R&B. Uzo Aduba is also KILLING it in the cast recording. It touches on a lot of emotions, and tells a very interesting story that focuses on the dystopian near-future fictional city of Venice as it struggles in the grips of war. And I love me some dystopian future stories. Not going to lie. Jennifer Damiano also stars in this show that has some roots in Othello

Bloody, BloodyAndrew Jackson – Originally developed as an experimental theatre project, BBAJ tells Andrew Jackson’s story through Rock & Roll and Pop. The show redefines America’s seventh president, the man who invented the Democratic Party and doubled the size of our nation, with a raucous blend of outrageous comedy, anarchic theatricality and an infectious rock score. The plot tracks Jackson from the death of his parents as a child through his initial struggles as a general to the loss of his wife Rachel. Fun Fact, Meryl Streep’s Son-in-law Benjamin Walker starred as the rock star himself on Broadway.



Honorable Mention

Dogfight In a fictional story that takes place in a Vietnam era San Francisco this show based on the 1991 film starring River Phoenix andLili Taylor. The Folk-pop score by Pasek and Paul was probably my favorite BEFORE Hamilton took over my life, but I still love it. Even though it’s not something that actually happened, and it’s not a hip-hop score, it is amazing, and I just assume everyone will love it the way I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment